The W-45 wrecker was manufactured in Chattanooga, Tennessee by the Ernest Holmes Company from 1941 until 1949. A total of 7,238 units were built. This wrecker was manufactured in early 1943 and has a rating of 15 tons. The wrecker was used in France, after the invasion in conjunction with the Red Ball Express. The Red Ball Express was the Army truck line that delivered critically needed supplies to the front lines during WWII. This wrecker was used by the U.S. Army until December 1947 when it was given to the French Army.